Multicultural education services

If English is not your main language, or you need support with literacy, TAFE NSW can help. We have courses, services and policies in place to ensure you are able to make full use of our programs and participate equally.

For assistance with courses designed to help with English language skills classes, recognition of overseas qualifications and visa status please contact us on 131 674.

Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP)

The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) helps new migrants and refugees settle into Australia life by providing tuition in English language.

Through the AMEP you can attend English language classes at TAFE NSW. If you are a new migrant, refugee or hold a temporary visa you may be eligible to study free of charge.

The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) is funded by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training.

Visit our Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) page for more information.

Skillmax for migrant jobseekers

Skillmax is a course for skilled migrants seeking employment in their chosen profession in Australia. The course will help qualified professionals to develop job search strategies and prepare them to enter the Australian workforce. It is funded by the NSW Government and is FREE for eligible participants.

For more information about the course download the Skillmax brochure (PDF, 357KB) or email

English for Employment

The English for Employment program is a ten week program for skilled migrants with overseas qualifications seeking employment in their areas of professional expertise. The program aims to improve English communication skills both for job seeking and for the workplace.

Participants in the program will gain a greater understanding of the current employment market and opportunities in Australia. The English for Employment program is funded by the New South Wales Government and is FREE for eligible participants.

For more information download the English for Employment brochure or email

Temporary visa holders

Holders of temporary visas can enrol in TAFE NSW courses, if places are available and all course entry requirements have been met. Enrolment conditions apply, depending on the
visa subclass.

Most temporary visa holders pay the TAFE NSW fee and tuition fees. TAFE NSW will conduct an audit of residency status following enrolment.

If you have a temporary visa, call 131 674 to find out more.