Overseas qualifications

Recognition of your overseas qualification

If you have overseas qualifications in a field of study the same as or related to your TAFE NSW qualification, TAFE NSW will carefully consider whether they can be used to satisfy the entry requirements for a TAFE NSW course or to obtain advanced standing in that course

Recognition means that you will not have to repeat study you have already completed in another country. Your documents and qualifications will need to be certified, and must be in English or translated into English by a certified translator.

What do I need to provide?

We ask you to provide:

  • a transcript of your overseas qualification that lists the units you have completed
  • a course or unit syllabus that lists in detail the units that you have completed
  • we can also assess your overseas work experience so you will need to provide translated documentary evidence.

if you cannot provide sufficient documentation you may be required to do a challenge test to demonstrate your skills.

Before you begin:

  • seek advice from a TAFE NSW counsellor
  • ensure that your documents and qualifications are in English or have been translated into English.


The Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Border Protection has a free translation service for certain documents, for migrants who have been Australian permanent residents for less than two years. To check if you are eligible for free translation of your personal documents or to submit a request you can contact one of our campus AMEP offices.

NSW Community Relations Commission
Language Services Interpreting and Translating
Telephone: 1300 651 500 (free call)

Department of Immigration and Border Protection
Telephone: 131 881