Fees & financial assistance

When you enrol at TAFE NSW you will need to pay a student fee, unless you qualify for a fee exemption. The student fee will vary depending on the course you choose, if the course is government subsidised and what level of subsidy you are eligible for.

Payment options

The TAFE NSW offers a number of options for paying your fees. You can choose to pay the full amount up front or, if eligible, we can set up a student loan or a payment plan for you. In some cases, your employer may pay the fee for you.

See our payment options page to find out what options are available to you and the payment methods that we accept.

Important: 2017 student fee payments

If you are a new student and have not paid your student fee, please call 131674 (chose option 2) or 9942 0300 during business hours.
You can also visit one of our TAFE NSW locations to find out about your payment options.

Fees for government subsidised Smart and Skilled courses

Many of our courses are subsidised by the NSW Government under the Smart and Skilled reforms. This means that the government will pay part of the student fee on your behalf, and you pay the balance.

Student fees for Smart and Skilled subsidised courses have been set by the NSW Government based on IPART recommendations and will be the same for all NSW training organisations offering government subsidised courses.

TAFE NSW Northern Sydney is an approved Smart and Skilled provider for over 200 government subsidised courses in a wide range of industries.
Browse our government subsidised courses.

Who is eligible?

Students will be eligible for government subsidised training under Smart and Skilled if they are:

  • an Australian or New Zealand citizen, permanent resident or humanitarian visa holder AND
  • aged 15 years or older and no longer at school AND
  • living or working in New South Wales.

Providing you meet these criteria, you will be eligible for a subsidised training place in all Smart and Skilled courses, regardless of any previous qualifications you may hold. Places may be limited in some higher level courses.

How much will I pay?

How much you will pay for a subsidised course depends on the course you choose and your individual circumstances.

To estimate your fee for a particular government subsidised course, click on APPLY or ENROL next to your chosen course offering. You can check your eligibility and estimate your individual fee before entering the application process.

Any reductions to your student fee due to Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or credit transfer are calculated based on the proportion of the course that is recognised as completed according to State Training Services guidelines. For RPL, a 50% reduction of the fee of that proportion of the course will apply. For credit transfer a 100% reduction will apply as no additional assessment is required.

Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships


The NSW Government's Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships are available to help you get the training and skills you need to get a job and while having you course fees covered.

Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships are available for:

Asylum Seekers and Refugees


If you are an Asylum seeker or refugee you are now eligible for subsidised training from Certificate I to Advanced Diploma level. If you are eligible and your training commences on or after 1 January 2017, you will have access to fee-free training for qualifications up to Certificate IV level on the NSW Skills List.

Fees for other government subsidised courses

As the State's public provider, TAFE NSW also provides subsidised training and services to specific groups to meet government priorities. These courses, including HSC, TPC and TVET, are funded outside of the Smart and Skilled reform, so will have different fee structures.

See the list of qualifications and fees for courses in this category.

Fees for non-subsidised courses

We offer many qualifications that are not government subsidised such as specialist short courses, professional development workshops and selected qualifications from Certificate IV up to Advanced Diploma. These 'NSI Plus' courses are offered at very competitive prices in accordance with the TAFE NSW Commercial Services Policy and for most there are payment options available.

Fees for NSI Plus courses vary and are shown on each course page. Browse our NSI Plus courses

Fees for degree programs

Information about tuition fees for TAFE NSW degrees can be found under Fee Schedule on each degree page. FEE-HELP is available to eligible Australian students.

Fees for our university partnership degrees are set by the each partner university and are available on their website. 

See Degree programs for more information.

Fees for international students

International students have different fee structures. Fees for international courses can be found within each course description on our International Student website

Temporary visa holders should contact us prior to enrolment to determine eligibility to study and obtain details of fees and conditions that may apply. TAFE NSW will conduct an audit of your residency status following enrolment.

Other charges

Course related charges

When you enrol you may be required to pay a course related charge (CRC) in addition to the student fee.  Course related charges cover the cost of materials, resources, equipment or services you may need to participate in your course.

Mandatory equipment requirements

Some courses may also specify mandatory equipment requirements (MER) and students must obtain these to enable participation in classes and/or completion of the course. Details of any MER are included with the course information or are provided during class.

Certain courses may require you to pay licence or registration fees, wear a uniform or personal protective clothing or equipment (PPE) during class. Clothing must be purchased by the student and entry to the class will be refused unless specified protective clothing/uniform is worn.

If your course has a related charge or MER you will be advised at enrolment or you can contact your the administration office at your study location for further information.

Repeating a unit of competency

If you want to repeat a unit of competency you should discuss this with your head teacher as soon as possible. Your course fee only covers the first enrolment in a unit of competency. A separate fee will be charged for any additional enrolment in a unit of competency.

Fee exemptions and concessions

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) students, students with disabilities and their dependants may be eligible for fee exemptions when they enrol in government subsidised training. Students receiving welfare benefits and the dependants of welfare recipients may be eligible for concession fees. For more information see exemptions and concessions.

Lower-cost foundation skills and prevocational courses are also available for people who want help with language, literacy, numeracy, or vocational skills in targeted areas to help them get a job or enter further training.

There are no concessions or exemptions available for students in non-subsidised courses.

Refunds and withdrawals

If  you would like to withdraw from your course and/or seek a refund, you'll need to complete the appropriate form and return it to your TAFE NSW study location before classes start or within 7 days of when you last participated in training.

Always discuss your situation with your teacher or a counsellor before deciding to withdraw or discontinue your studies. We may be able to make alternative arrangements to help you continue your studies. For more information see refunds and withdrawals.

Student loans and other financial assistance

From 1 January 2017, the Commonwealth VET Student Loans program will replace the existing VET FEE-HELP loan program. The VET Student Loan program allows students to access loans for priority courses that meet industry needs, address skill shortages and lead to employment outcomes. See VET Student Loans for more information.

Some degree programs are eligible for FEE-HELP assistance. FEE-HELP is a loan scheme introduced by the Australian government to assist students to pay tuition fees for degree programs. See FEE-HELP for more information.

Financial assistance may be provided by Centrelink for students studying full-time and part-time. Contact your local Centrelink office for an application form to receive Austudy, Youth Allowance, New Start and other types of payments. TAFE NSW counsellors can provide you with an application and information pack. Contact Centrelink on 132 490.

Travel concessions

  • Students under 18 years of age who meet the specified Transport NSW requirements may be eligible to receive a free travel pass to use on journeys between home and the TAFE NSW location.
  • Students enrolled in a course requiring at least 20 hours per week of classes for a continuous period of at least 9 weeks and meet specified Transport NSW requirements may be eligible to receive an Opal Concession Card
  • Apprentices and Trainees may be eligible for travel concession. Conditions apply.
  • Overseas students must contact their International Student Coordinator.
  • For eligibility criteria and conditions of use visit Transport NSW.

Application forms for travel concessions are available from your TAFE NSW Northern Sydney InfoPoint.

Tax concessions

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) may allow you to deduct expenses for self-education under certain circumstances. Information about eligibility for claiming a deduction is available on the ATO website.

You should keep your receipts to support claimable expenses.

Outstanding fees

If you are currently studying or have previously studied with us and have outstanding or unpaid fees, you will not be able to enrol in a course and will not recieve:

  • Transcript of academic record
  • Record of successful study
  • Statement of competencies achieved
  • Report to employer
  • Testamur (the document you receive on graduation).

To pay your fees please contact our payments team on 131 674 (choose option 2).

Your student portal includes information on any outstanding fees as well as methods of payment. Please ensure you check this information and your fee statement for due dates of your course fees. TAFE NSW may withdraw your course enrolment if you fail to pay your fees on time.

Replacement fees for records or awards

You may request a replacement for any lost, damaged or stolen Testamur/Confirmation of Award. You will need to complete the NSW Application Form for a Replacement Testamur/Confirmation of Award and pay the replacement fee.

You can request a replacement Transcript of Academic Record free of charge from the Administration office.

If you require a replacement First Aid Certificate or statement of attainment, you simply need to complete the TAFE NSW Application Form for a Replacement of a First Aid Certificate / Statement of Attainment and pay the replacement fee.

Further Information

If you have any questions or would like to discuss your study and fee options, please
contact us, we’re happy to help.