Types of courses
The Northern Sydney Institute delivers courses across a wide range of industries offering a choice of qualifications, learning styles and durations to suit your needs.
- are developed in consultation with industry and are reviewed regularly to ensure that our graduates are work-ready with skills required by today's employers
- may include industry placements or learning in simulated workplace environments, so you'll get practical, hands-on experience
- offer a range of flexible and online learning options to provide you with the freedom to study when and where it suits you.
Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)
We offer courses and training programs that are recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). AQF programs are nationally recognised, which means your qualification and skills can be used anywhere in Australia and may also provide you with credit points towards further study.
The vocational qualifications that are Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) include:
- TAFE NSW Higher Education Degrees (NRT)– These degree programs are designed to give you the foundation knowledge and technical skills you need to excel in your chosen career.
- Graduate Certificates and Graduate Diplomas (NRT) – These may provide extra training to help you build on an undergraduate program or gain skills in a new professional area.
- Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas (NRT) – These prepare you for careers that require a broad range of complex technical skills and in-depth knowledge.
- Certificates I to IV (NRT) – These provide you with a range of skills from introductory level through to advanced. It's not always necessary to complete a lower level Certificate to gain entry to a higher one.
- Statements of Attainment (NRT) - Certain short courses can help you develop extra skills or prepare you for further study. A Statement of Attainment is a record of completion of one or more units of competency from an AQF course.
In addition, NSI Plus offers short, specialist skill sets and customised training for both individuals and business. If you complete a non-accredited NSI Plus program, you will receive a NSI Plus attendance certificate. These do not carry the accreditation status of a testamur, but do officially recognise your attendance. Each NSI Plus attendance certificate has a unique number, a silver foil logo and an embossed seal for security purposes.
An Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) qualification may be awarded at a lower level from your current course qualification. For example, if you are undertaking a diploma course you may be eligible to receive a certificate IV qualification provided you have completed all certificate IV units. Please contact your local campus to see if you are eligible to apply.
If eligible you will be required to complete an Embedded Qualification Application form at the campus you are currently enrolled with. Students who are no longer enrolled must submit an application form at the campus where they were enrolled. There is a $75 fee for each AQF qualification requested.
Vocational education and training (VET) offers you the opportunity to gain qualifications for all types of employment and industry areas, and specific skills to help you in the workplace. NSI offers nationally recognised vocational qualifications from Certificate I to Advanced Diploma level, as well as Graduate Certificates and Graduate Diplomas.
Vocational education at NSI
Students and graduates have the opportunity to gain a university qualification through study at NSI.
Higher Education degrees
TAFE NSW is an accredited higher education provider and offers its own degree programs, including undergraduate bachelor degrees and associate degrees.
The higher education degree programs offered by NSI aim to give you the foundation knowledge and technical skills you need to excel in your chosen career.
University degrees and partnerships
NSI has specific agreements with major universities across Australia to help you gain a university qualification.
At NSI you can:
- enrol at NSI and a university at the same time – you can graduate with both an Advanced Diploma and a degree in as little as three years. You will study both at an NSI campus and on campus at University.
- stay at NSI and study a university degree - for some Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses, graduates can continue their studies at NSI and upgrade their qualification to a degree in one year. You will be studying accredited university subjects, but at an NSI campus.
University degrees and partnership
TAFE to university pathways
There are many TAFE NSW courses that offer credit transfer pathways to a university or higher education qualification. The articulation agreements define the amount of credit you'll receive for your TAFE qualification.
Selected study programs
A selected study program is a plan of study made up of specific units of competency that you choose to suit your career goals and interests. A selected study program may be right for you if you find that a ready-made course doesn't suit you, or you wish to combine units from different fields of study.
Flexible study options
NSI offers flexible study options for selected courses or units across a range of study areas either delivered in the classroom or online or a mix of both.Â Courses or unit that are delivered fully online are facilitated by experienced teachers and support is provided to throughout your course.