Payment Options

When you enrol you will either be able to pay online immediately or you will receive a Student Fee Notification email with payment instructions once your enrolment has been processed.

Payments can be made:

  • online for some courses you can pay online directly as part of your enrolment, for others you can pay via the Learner Portal (Visa or MasterCard)
  • by phone at 131 674 during office hours (Visa or MasterCard)
  • in person by EFTPOS, credit card (Visa or MasterCard) or personal cheque, bank cheque or money order (payable to TAFE NSW - Northern Sydney Institute).

TAFE NSW does not accept cash for any payments.

TAFE NSW offers students a number of options for paying their fees: upfront payment in full, payment plan, student loan or third party payment. Your Student Fee Notification email will include details on the payment options available for your course and instructions on how to proceed for each one.

Upfront payment

For all TAFE NSW courses, you can choose to pay the total amount of your student fee upfront. This means you pay the full student fee and any other enrolment related charges before the commencement of classes, using one of the methods listed above.

Study now, pay later

FEE-HELP and VET Student Loans are loan schemes introduced by the Australian government to assist eligible students to pay tuition fees for higher level courses. You can choose to pay all your tuition fees or pay some of your fees upfront and apply for a loan for the balance. Students repay their loans through the Australian taxation system once they earn above the compulsory repayment threshold.

Subject to the passage of legislation, VET Student Loans will commence on 1 January 2017, replacing the current VET FEE‑HELP scheme, which will cease on 31 December 2016. This is a new student loans program that replaces the current VET FEE‑HELP scheme, to give eligible students access to quality higher level VET qualifications, particularly those students who could not otherwise afford to pay upfront.

FEE-HELP is available for all TAFE NSW Degrees. You will be notified of your student fee and your first census date and provided with instructions on how to apply for the loan.

Payment plans

To make it easier for you to pay your student fee, TAFE NSW also offers eligible students simple payment plans so that you can pay over a number of smaller instalments.

You are eligible for a payment plan if you are enrolling in:

  • a government subsidised course
  • a fee-for-service course where the fee is more than (or equal to) $500.

If you are under 18 years of age you must apply with a guarantor.

To apply for a payment plan, you will need to complete a Learner Instalment Payment Plan Agreement Form. If your employer is paying your fee, you will both need to complete a Third Party Instalment Payment Plan Agreement Form. These forms will either be attached to your student fee notification email or you can contact us by phone on 131 674, or in person, and we will provide you with the correct forms.

The amount of your first payment and the frequency or number of instalments will depend on the course you are enrolling in and your individual circumstances.

Instalment Payment Plan

For Certificate I to III, Certificate IVs, Statements and other short courses.

For non-apprentices, the first payment will be 20% fee of the student fee at enrolment; followed by up to 4 payment instalments spread over the duration of the course for the remaining 80% of the student fee.

For apprentices, the first payment will be 10% of the apprentice student fee; followed by up to 6 payment instalments spread over the duration of the apprenticeship for the remaining 90% of the student fee.

Third Party Payment

Some employers will pay training fees on behalf of their apprentice, trainee or other employee. This is an agreement between you and your employer. Your employer can choose to pay the full fee upfront, or by a payment plan if eligible. You will both need to complete and sign a Third Party Payment Request Form and a Third Party Instalment Payment Plan Agreement Form if applicable. Your student fee notification email will include instructions on how to obtain these forms.

Further information

If you have any questions about your payment options, please call 131 674 or visit one of our location customer ervice centres.