As the largest organisation for vocational education and training in Australia, TAFE NSW understands the important role education plays in helping you settle comfortably into your new community. We are here to help you.
On 1 January 2017, changes were made to the eligibility requirements to access fee-free training for qualifications (smart and skilled for refugees and asylum seekers) that are on the NSW Skills List (up to Certificate IV level).
This means that as an asylum seeker or refugee, you may be eligible to study with us.
Am I eligible?
- Are you 15 years or older?
- Are you no longer at school or its equivalent?
- Do you live or work in New South Wales?
You must answer yes to these questions to be eligible to access government subsidised training.
What refugee and aslyum seeker visa do I need to be eligible?
- Emergency rescue visa (Subclass 203)
- Global special humanitarian programme visa (Subclass 202)
- In-country special humanitarian programme visa (Subclass 201)
- Protection visa (Subclass 866)
- Refugee visa (Subclass 200)
- Woman at Risk visa (Subclass 204)
Eligible temporary visas
- Bridging Visa A (BVA)
- Bridging Visa B (BVB)
- Bridging Visa C (BVC)
- Bridging Visa D (BVD)
- Bridging Visa E (BVE)
- Temporary Humanitarian Concern visa (Subclass 786)
- Temporary Humanitarian Stay visa (Subclass 449).
- Safe Haven Enterprise visa (Subclass 790)
- Temporary Protection visa (Subclass 785)
Depending on your visa type and status you could select from a selection of skills sets or full qualifications.
We are currently offering government-subsidised courses in skills and qualifications across the following areas:
- Aged Care
- Child Care
Information sessions and enrolment
To access these courses and to help you on your education and career journey we are hosting information sessions at various TAFE NSW locations.
These sessions will allow you to learn more about your study options, meet our teachers and support staff and ensure you are guided to the right course and receive the right assistance.
To book your place in an information session please complete the booking form and one of our customer service team will contact you.
Please bring your Visa information to the information session, for example, your Immi Card and any related visa documentation you have.
The economic outlook for our state is bright, we are currently experiencing the strongest job growth in the nation. At TAFE NSW we are here to help you start your training journey in Australia.