Bachelor of Information Technology (Network Security)
3 years full-time or
6 years part-time
20 February 2017
6 February 2017
In our Bachelor of Information Technology (Network Security) degree, you will learn about network security and data infrastructure using a practical hands-on approach, developing skills such as communication, problem solving and critical thinking along the way.
Network security professionals design, implement and manage secure computer systems and security policies. As cyber attacks and identity theft have become more sophisticated, security specialists have become an integral part of IT infrastructure teams.
The course includes presentations and case studies by leading professional experts, to help you acquire the tools and techniques for solving the security challenges facing the world today.
Offered by TAFE NSW Higher Education, this course prepares you for a career in this fast growing and dynamic industry. You will graduate as a well-trained, analytical IT specialist.
Why study with us?
Here’s just a few of the things that makes our course exceptional:
- Developed in consultation with industry to give you the skills that employers are
- Guaranteed small class sizes for excellent individual support
- Balance of strong technical skills and analytical problem solving
- State-of-the-art networking equipment for practical, hands-on learning
- Prepares you to sit for the recognised industry certification Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Close ties to the Australian Computer Society (ACS) and the Australian Information Security Association (AISA)
- Network Security Specialist
- Intrusion Detection Analyst
- Security Solution Specialist
- Technical Support Engineer
- eSecurity Specialist
- Network Security Pre-Sales Engineer
- Web Security Engineer
- Information Security Analyst
- Security Implementation Engineer
- Firewall Engineer
Need to know
Information session dates
Thursday 24 November | 7pm | Meadowbank Campus | P Block | REGISTER
Thursday 19 January 2017 | 7pm | Meadowbank Campus | P Block | REGISTER
Full-time: 20 hours per week face-to-face
Part-time: 10 hours per week face-to-face
For full details about the structure of the program and an overview of the subjects please download HE20524 Subject Overview (PDF 492KB)
Course fees and fee-help information
In 2017, tuition fees for the course will be $1,100 per subject. Students must complete 24 subjects, so the total cost of this course will be $26,400.
See TAFE NSW Higher Education Applying and Fees for more information. Fees are subject to change - always check the website for the latest information.
International fees are due to increase in 2017. Please see the Northern Sydney Institute’s International student website for fee information.
FEE-HELP is available to eligible Australian students. The Australian government provides assistance to higher education students through the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP).
EE-HELP is a loan scheme available to eligible fee paying students to pay all or part of their tuition fees.
Find out if you are eligible for FEE-HELP.
Applicants are required to hold, at minimum, one of the following to be considered eligible for admission:
- a NSW HSC (Higher School Certificate) or equivalent, or
- a recognised Tertiary Preparation Certificate, or
- a qualification from a Registered Training Organisation at Certificate IV level or above, or
- the completion of at least one year full-time or equivalent in a degree course at a higher education institution.
If you don't meet the above educational requirements you may apply for entry into this course based on mature age or educational disadvantage. Please contact us if you wish to apply for special admission.
In addition to the minimum eligibility requirements, you will also be required to attend an interview.
Assumed knowledge of NSW HSC mathematics or equivalent; if you meet the course entry requirements, but do not have the recommended level of assumed knowledge in mathematics, you can still apply to enrol in this course. If accepted, you may be advised to undertake a mathematics bridging program or preparatory course.
Pathways into the degree
You can apply for advanced standing or credit transfer at the time of application if you’ve successfully completed one of the following qualifications:
- Diploma of Information Technology (Networking)
Advanced Diploma of Information Technology (Network Security)
Other previous studies, previous industry experience, and vendor certifications may also provide credit through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
How to apply
Applications are open for Semester 1, 2017, and first round applications will close on
6 February 2017. You can apply in the following ways:
- Go to the course page for the Bachelor of Information Technology (Network Security) and click on the APPLY button at the bottom of the page
- Follow the instructions to complete your application online. We will then contact you with details on how to submit your essay questions and any additional documentation we may require to help us assess your application.
- Download a TAFE NSW Higher Education Application Form for the Bachelor of Information Technology (Network Security), follow the instructions on the form to complete your submission and lodge your application in person, by mail or by email to our Meadowbank Campus.
Visit the Northern Sydney Institute International student website for more information and how to apply for the Bachelor of Information Technology (Network Security) as an international student.
You can also find more information in our Bachelor of Information Technology (Network Security) International students brochure (PDF 2MB).
A number of opportunities exist for our higher education students outside their regular studies. For more information, check out our Development programs page.
In 2016, the Institute launched Enactus, an international non-profit organisation dedicated to inspiring students to improve the world through entrepreneurial action. Check out enactus.org to find out more and see some of the amazing projects that they’ve already helped to accomplish in Australia and around the world.
As a member of an Enactus team, you’ll develop the kind of teamwork, leadership and communication skills that can only come from real life experiences.
What our students say
“Small classes, professional teachers working in the IT industry, all the required hardware and software resources for practice accessible to everyone made my learning journey an epic experience and gave me the confidence that I needed to pursue my dream career.”
Sana Ullah Rana
Bachelor of Information Technology (Network Security) Graduate
If you’d like to know more about the course, please provide your details here and we’ll be in touch soon.
You can also contact us by phone or email:
Telephone: 02 9942 3702 or 131 674
Our industry partners