Associate Degree of Accounting
2 years full-time or 4
20 February 2017
6 February 2017
The TAFE NSW Associate Degree of Accounting is a practical, industry-focused qualification that prepares you for a career in accounting.
You will learn about accounting, tax, finance, statistics, marketing and law, and how each interacts with the accounting profession as well as the broader Australian business environment. On top of this, you will develop the skills required for successful study at TAFE and at university, such as essay writing and how to research, analyse and present information.
The course includes an industry internship in the second year, which will provide you with the opportunity to apply your learning in a real workplace situation, as well as establish valuable professional contacts.
As a graduate of this degree, you can enrol into the third year of an accounting degree at one of our university partners, which are the Australian Catholic University, Charles Sturt University, Macquarie University and the University of New England.
Why study with us?
Here’s just a few of the things that makes our course exceptional:
- Guaranteed small classes and a high level of direct contact with academic teaching staff.
- Practical and industry-focused study. The course uses workplace situations to build knowledge of the industry.
- Second year internship program to give you hands-on work experience in the accounting profession.
- A flexible pathway that can lead to university. After graduating from the associate degree you can enrol into the third year of a related bachelor degree at a partnering university.
- Self-employed bookkeeper (a BAS Agent, if other Tax Practitioners Board requirements are met)
- Tax accountant (working for a Tax Agent or Practice)
- Accountant in industry (commerce)
- Small business accountant
- Payroll supervisor (with experience)
- Receivables/payables supervisor (with experience)
If you go on to complete an accredited bachelor degree, you can also commence professional certification programs with CPA Australia, the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia and the Institute of Public Accountants.
Need to know
Information session dates
Thursday 24 November | 7pm | Meadowbank Campus | P Block | Room 5.03 REGISTER
Thursday 19 January 2017 | 7pm | Meadowbank Campus | P Block | Room 5.03 REGISTER
Full-time: 18 hours per week face-to-face
Part-time: 8-10 hours per week face-to-face
For full details about the structure of the program and an overview of the subjects please download HE20522 Subject Overview (PDF 500KB)
Course fees and fee-help information
In 2017, tuition fees for domestic students will be $1,200 per subject. Students must complete 16 subjects, so the cost of this course will be $19,200.
See TAFE NSW Higher Education Applying and Fees for more information. Fees are subject to change - always check the website for the latest information.
International fees are due to increase in 2017. Please see the Northern Sydney Institute’s International student website for fee information.
FEE-HELP is available to eligible Australian students. The Australian government provides assistance to higher education students through the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP).
EE-HELP is a loan scheme available to eligible fee paying students to pay all or part of their tuition fees.
Find out if you are eligible for FEE-HELP.
Applicants are required to hold, at minimum, one of the following to be considered eligible for admission:
- a NSW HSC (Higher School Certificate) or equivalent, or
- a recognised Tertiary Preparation Certificate, or
- a qualification from a Registered Training Organisation at Certificate IV level or above, or
- the completion of at least one year full-time or equivalent in a degree course at a higher education institution.
If you don't meet the above educational requirements you may apply for entry into this course based on mature age or educational disadvantage. Please contact us if you wish to apply for special admission.
In addition to the minimum eligibility requirements, you will also be required to submit a 500 word essay, attend an interview and complete a short numeracy test.
Assumed knowledge of NSW HSC mathematics or equivalent; if you meet the course entry requirements, but do not have the recommended level of assumed knowledge in mathematics, you can still apply to enrol in this course. If accepted, you may be advised to undertake a mathematics bridging program or preparatory course.
Pathways into the degree
Credit transfer is offered for identified units from the Certificate IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma qualifications in Accounting or Financial Services (Accounting) and the Certificate IV in Bookkeeping or Financial Services (Bookkeeping).
How to apply
Applications are open for Semester 1, 2017, and first round applications will close on
6 February 2017 . You can apply in the following ways:
- Go to the course page for the Associate Degree of Accounting and click on the APPLY button at the bottom of the page
- Follow the instructions to complete your application online. We will then contact you with details on how to submit your essay questions and any additional documentation we may require to help us assess your application.
- Download a TAFE NSW Higher Education Application Form for the Associate Degree of Accounting, follow the instructions on the form to complete your submission and lodge your application in person, by mail or by email to our Meadowbank Campus.
Visit the Northern Sydney Institute International student website for more information and how to apply for the Associate Degree of Accounting as an international student.
A number of opportunities exist for our higher education students outside their regular studies. For more information, check out our Development programs page.
In 2016, the Institute launched Enactus, an international non-profit organisation dedicated to inspiring students to improve the world through entrepreneurial action. Check out enactus.org to find out more and see some of the amazing projects that they’ve already helped to accomplish in Australia and around the world.
As a member of an Enactus team, you’ll develop the kind of teamwork, leadership and communication skills that can only come from real life experiences.
If you would like further information about the course or have any questions, you can contact us by phone or email:
Telephone: 02 9942 3702 or 131 674
University and industry partners