The tourism industry in Australia is travelling well - so new, talented employees have a great journey ahead of them. Careers in tourism have always been popular as they provide the opportunity to join an industry that is an important part of Australia's economy.
Festivals and cultural events are also a major part of Australian life, with at least one happening every day somewhere in the country and attendance rates of more than 10 million people every year. They range in size from small community celebrations to major cultural events, and embrace music, theatre, performance, art, food and wine, heritage, multicultural and indigenous events.
Back in the conference room, business events and conferences is a healthy multi-billion dollar industry in Australia, and one that is expected to more than double in size in the next decade.
At Northern Sydney Institute we pride ourselves on offering professional qualifications with the maximum possible hands-on, real world experience giving you direct pathways to university or successful industry employment.
A look at the facts...
- Travel and tourism continues to be one of the world’s largest industries. By 2022, the Australian travel and tourism industry is forecast to support 1,443,000 jobs (11.7% of total employment).
- Tourism industry revenue is estimated to total over $114 billion in 2014.
- A stronger business confidence outlook over the next five years is expected to translate into higher spending on corporate events and sponsorship, resulting in strong growth in employment for conference and event organisers.
- It is expected that there will be a shift towards higher level qualifications in both industries.
(Source: joboutlook.gov.au, Tourism Research Australia, IBIS World Report 2011/12 - Tourism)
A career in tourism & event management
Possible job roles include:
- adventure/outdoor guide
- adventure tour manager
- cultural guide
- event manager
- general manager of operations
- hospitality business development manager
- hotel manager
- sales manager
- tour coordinator
- leisure consultant
- reservations sales agent
- retail travel manager
- tour guide/site guide
- tour operator/manager
- tour sales consultant
- venue manager
- wedding planner
- winery guide
Study and career pathways
There is more than one pathway to a successful career, and it may not always be in a
Our Career Guide will give you some idea of how the different qualifications fit together and what they mean in the industry.