Keeping Australians fit and healthy is big business. Fitness instructors, personal trainers and outdoor educators can generally find work anywhere in Australia. For every level of sporting activity there are jobs available for coaches, officials and referees, sports development officers, administrators, trainers, massage therapists and many others.
The Northern Sydney Institute has responded with an expanded range of courses including fast track certification for fitness instructors and personal trainers as well as professional diploma qualifications in fitness and remedial massage.
Our outdoor recreation students spend most of their time with us out of the classroom, learning from first-hand experience with our expert instructors.
Our courses take you across Sydney for day and overnight trips biking, rock climbing, kayaking, abseiling, bushwalking, surfing and archery. You will also have access to induction training and possible job placement with the Department of Sport and Recreation.
A look at the facts...
- Over the last five years, employment for fitness instructors has grown more than 37%. This will continue to grow and the industry will be worth around $880 million in 2019.
- Employment in this industry is extremely diverse from schools to gyms to the great outdoors, some with flexible working conditions and enormous earning potential. Personal trainers can charge up to $100 hour.
(Source: IBIS World)
A career in sport, fitness and outdoor recreation
Possible job roles include:
- gym manager
- fitness instructor
- gym instructor
- personal trainer
- sports trainer
- outdoor guide
- outdoor adventure leader
- tour guide
- youth worker
- leisure centre supervisor
- recreation officer
- Outdoor activity officer
- strength and conditioning specialist
- sport development officer
Study and career pathways
There is more than one pathway to a successful career, and it may not always be in a
Our Career Guide will give you some idea of how the different qualifications fit together and what they mean in the industry.