There are now more choices than ever in the media and entertainment industries. Some jobs are highly creative, while others require technical expertise and skill. The growth of new media and the interplay between technology, images and sound has also seen the industry expand rapidly in recent years.
Careers are branching out into areas such as web multimedia, digital video editing, games development, digital special effects, animation and interactive design for new media.
Our facilities include digital widescreen multi-camera studios with the latest Sony cameras, non-linear editing suites and a sound recording studio. When you graduate, you can be sure that you are industry ready.
We offer a range of film, television and sound courses including Certificate IV and Diploma of Screen and Media, Certificate IV and Diploma Sound Production and short specialist courses.
A look at the facts...
- The motion picture and video production industry is in the growth phase of its life cycle with attractive federal and state government funding and incentive supports expected to drive substantial industry growth and revenue. Over the ten years through 2018-19, the pay television industry is forecast to grow at an annualised 11.4%.
- The Northern Sydney Institute is home to the only broadcast quality training studios in TAFE NSW.
- The Northern Sydney Institute is part of the AVID Learning Partner Program offering certified AVID Media Composer and Pro Tools training.
(Source: IBIS World; www.joboutlook.gov.au)
A career in media and entertainment
Possible job roles include:
- 3D animator/3D videographer
- audio-visual operator
- camera/lighting operator
- data wrangler
- film/television producer
- games developer
- interactive media author
- lighting or stage management
- live sound operator/engineer
- multimedia specialist
- music and dialogue editor
- outside broadcasting (OB) technologist/engineer
- post production operator/engineer
- script development (writer, editor)
- sound mixer/technician/engineer
- sound recordist
- studio assistant
- technical director
- visual effects designer
Study and career pathways
There is more than one pathway to a successful career, and it may not always be in a
Our Career Guide will give you some idea of how the different qualifications fit together and what they mean in the industry.