This is an industry that is all about making people look good and feel good about themselves. The best hairdressers and beauticians are part psychologist, part miracle worker, with exceptional technical expertise and unrivalled knowledge of products, trends and the latest tools of the trade.
The hair and beauty industry is constantly evolving with changes in fashion and the development of breakthrough products, innovative techniques and highly sophisticated technology. Scientific research into anti-ageing and rejuvenating skin and hair care is at an all-time high and the line between health practitioners and beauticians is beginning to blur. It is an exciting time to be in the industry.
The Northern Sydney Institute offers industry recognised training through the Sydney Academy of Hair Beauty and Makeup, including both trade and specialist qualifications for industry professionals up to Diploma level, including the only Specialist Makeup Services Diploma in NSW.
A look at the facts...
- The Australian hair and beauty industry is expected to deliver $3.8 billion in revenue this year and is projected to grow over the next 5 years.
- Employment opportunities for hair stylists are increasing with more than 50,000 job openings predicted in the next five years.
- Beauty therapist jobs have seen an increase of over 33 per cent in the last ten years. The future for beauty salons is bright, with strong growth expected due to the expansion of non-traditional segments, such as the male market.
(Source: IBIS World; joboutlook.gov.au)
A career in hair and beauty
Possible job roles include:
- specialist hairdresser
- beauty therapist
- make-up technician/assistant
- nail technician
- retail cosmetic assistant
- special effects make-up artist
- beauty therapist
- salon manager/owner
- spa therapist
- salon assistant
Study and career pathways
There is more than one pathway to a successful career, and it may not always be in a
Our Career Guide will give you some idea of how the different qualifications fit together and what they mean in the industry.