This is an industry that is all about making people look good and feel good about themselves. The best hairdressers and beauticians are part psychologist, part miracle worker, with exceptional technical expertise and unrivalled knowledge of products, trends and the latest tools of the trade.
The hair and beauty industry is constantly evolving with changes in fashion and the development of breakthrough products, innovative techniques and highly sophisticated technology. Scientific research into anti-ageing and rejuvenating skin and hair care is at an all-time high and the line between health practitioners and beauticians is beginning to blur. It is an exciting time to be in the industry.
The Northern Sydney Institute offers industry recognised training through the Sydney Academy of Hair Beauty and Makeup, including both trade and specialist qualifications for industry professionals up to Diploma level, including the only Specialist Makeup Services Diploma in NSW.
A look at the facts...
- The Australian hair and beauty industry delivered $3.8bn in revenue this year and is projected to grow even more over the next 5 years. Employment growth and wage increases are expected to follow.
- Spending on perfecting personal appearance in Australia is expected to reach $6.99 billion for 2011-12, which is an 18.8 per cent rise from the 2010-11. The bulk of this will be in hairdressing and beauty treatments.
- It is estimated that a modern women in Australia will spend over $440,000 in a lifetime on cosmetic maintenance. The male market is also growing, driven by a greater emphasis on the importance of appearance and changing attitudes among men
(Source: IBIS World Report 2011/12 Hairdressing and Beauty Salons; Newsweek; ABS)
A career in hair and beauty
Possible job roles include:
- specialist hairdresser
- beauty therapist
- make-up technician/assistant
- nail technician
- retail cosmetic assistant
- special effects make-up artist
- beauty therapist
- salon manager/owner
- spa therapist
- salon assistant
Study and career pathwaysCareer Opportunities
There is more than one pathway to a successful career, and it may not always be in a straight line.
This hair and beauty career pathway chart will give you some idea of how the different qualifications fit together and what they mean in the industry.