Why apprenticeships and traineeships?
Apprenticeships and traineeships are a perfect vehicle for training and developing new and existing staff in either gaining recognition or bridging the gap of educational and practical experience.
Apprenticeships and traineeships in NSW are administered under the Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001. This is a national scheme that has seen countless employees improve on their skills and thrive in their roles.
What is an apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships combine paid work and structured training so the employee can learn a trade and receive a nationally accredited qualification. An apprenticeship usually takes four years and can be completed part-time or full-time.
Apprenticeship courses are available in:
- Building and construction
- Hairdressing and beauty
- Ship and boat building
What is a traineeship?
Traineeship is like an apprenticeship but is focused in vocational areas which can provide an organisation with hundreds of training package options such as office administration, information technology, accounting, transport or hospitality.
It can be from 12 months to 24 months duration full-time and longer if the employee is part-time depending on the qualification selected. The selection of training package is based on an employee’s role.
Traineeship courses are available in:
- Accounting and finance
- Business and human resources
- Children’s services
- Environment and conservation
- Hairdressing and beauty
- Health and community services
- Hospitality, tourism or events
- Information technology
- Marketing and property services
- Media and entertainment
- Sport, fitness and outdoor recreation
What support is available?
- The government will assist with the cost of training.
- The AAC will advise on incentives for both employer and employee.
- NSI will assist and guide you throughout the apprenticeship or traineeship.
How do I recruit an apprentice or trainee?
Contact an Australian Apprenticeships Centre (AAC)
- An AAC will guide you in finding the right apprentice or trainee for your industry and the Government incentives that are available.
- Visit the Australian Apprenticeships Centre website to find your local centre.
Upskill existing staff
An AAC will advise you on who is eligible to undertake an apprenticeship or traineeship.
Employ new staff
Undertake the sign-up process
- Contact an AAC to complete a training contract.
- The training contract will be submitted to the Department of Education and Training for approval.
- You will be notified by the department about the status of your application.
Organise TAFE enrolment
Apprenctices and trainees are enrolled twice a year. Please contact us for the current enrolment information.
Telephone: 131 674 or + 61 2 9942 0418 (for calls outside of New South Wales).
Our Apprenticeships and Traineeships at your Workplace brochure has more information about how apprenticeships and traineeships can help your business.
If you already employ apprentices or trainees who are enrolled at NSI you can register to access our online service for employers. Visit Employer e-Services to find out more.