NSI and the environment
The Northern Sydney Institute has been a leader of both environmental management and education for sustainability.
Our commitment is evidenced by our achievements and ongoing process improvements:
- The first Vocational Education and Training provider in NSW with ISO 14001 certification across all campuses.
- The second organisation to achieve gold member status in the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage Sustainability Advantage program and the only tertiary education institute provider with GOLD partnership.
- A consistent performer in environmental education and delivery awards - frequently sharing knowledge with other communities through conferences and workshops.
- Continuing to achieve ongoing cost savings through reductions in resource usage.
- Integrating our sustainability knowledge and practices into our student training and skills development. See our quarterly Sustainability Update for more information.
At the Northern Sydney Institute, environmental sustainability is a way of thinking and acting that we embed in all aspects of what we do including the sustainability and greenskills courses that we deliver across our seven campuses.
Pesticide Use Notification Plan
The Northern Sydney Institute has developed a Pesticide Use Notification Plan (PDF, 400KB).
Government Resource Efficiency Policy Compliance Report
Download the Northern Sydney Institute's 2014/2015 GREP Compliance Report (PDF, 600KB).
NSW Government Departments are required to publically report compliance with the Government Resource Efficiency Policy (GREP).
Awards and certification
NSI’s commitment to sustainability has been recognised with the following awards and certifications:
- 2015 The Cameraygal building was awarded a National Commendation in the Sustainable Architecture section of the 2015 National Architecture Awards. Read more in ArchitectureAu
- 2015 Winner of two categories in the the NSW Australian Institute of Architects Award for our and highly commended for a third category.
Read about our Cameraygal building (PDF, 7.1MB).
- 2014 Highly Commended Australasian Green Gown Award for Learning and Teaching Sustainability for our Early Childhood Education Faculty.
- 2012 Winner of the NCS International Chairman’s Award for the Northern Sydney Institute’s Environmental Management System certified to ISO14001. The Northern Sydney Institute is the only TAFE Institute to achieve and maintain this international standard for each campus.
- 2012 Sustainability Advantage Gold Partner with the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage
- 2012 Winner NSW Government Green Globe Award for Excellence in Sustainability
- 2012 Winner Australasian Campuses Towards Sustainability (ACTS) Green Gown Awards for Education for Sustainability
- 2011 Highly Commended Australasian Campuses Towards Sustainability(ACTS) Green Gown Awards for Large Institution Continuous Improvement
At Northern Sydney Institute, we are committed to establishing, promoting and maintaining a culture of environmental responsibility, both within the Institute and in the wider community.
Read our Sustainability Policy (PDF, 515KB)