NSI and the environment
At NSI environmental sustainability is a way of thinking and doing that is embedded in every aspect of the Institute's operations. As an educational provider, we are committed to enabling others to do the same, not just to meet basic standards or mandatory requirements but to reach a stage where all business decisions are approached through the lens of sustainability.
NSI focused on its own operations to meet ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems standards and now provides advice and training in environmental auditing to other TAFE NSW institutes and universities.
A pioneer of conservation and land management programs since the 1970s, NSI continues to provide training to meet the challenges of today's burgeoning green economy. Each year, over 3000 students are trained in the specific fields of land, environmental and coastal management, and this is growing in response to the increasing demand for green-skilled workers.
We are introducing new environmentally based courses and modules across all industry sectors, covering subjects such as renewable energy; dual grid installation; insulation training; energy, water and waste minimisation; green plumbing; automotive gas refitting; and ecologically sustainable building design and construction.
Concerns about climate change and the future of the environment are changing the way many traditional trades are taught. Building, electrical, plumbing, architecture and landscaping students learn about sustainability by designing and building sustainable classrooms, which in turn are used by students learning about sustainability. Hospitality students apply sustainable work practices, working towards the closed-loop ‘farm to table to farm’ approach and Green Table certification using the latest in waste, water and energy minimisation equipment and techniques.
Awards and certification
NSI’s commitment to sustainability has been recognised with the following awards and certifications:
- 2012 Sustainability Advantage Gold Partner with the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage
- 2011 Highly Commended Green Gowns Awards Australasia
- ISO 14001 for Environmental Management Systems (NSI is the only TAFE institute to achieve and maintain this international standard)
- 2009 winner of the Keep Australia Beautiful Environmental Education Award for the Green with ENVe program developed in partnership with Warringah Council
- 2009 winner of the inaugural 2009 Australian Training Awards for Skills for Sustainability – Educational Institution Award (this is a national award open to all educational institutions in Australia)
- membership of Sydney Water’s ‘Every Drop Counts’ program
- the Hornsby Campus Environment Improvement Group won a 2009 Sydney Water ‘Every Drop Counts’ Team Award in recognition of the campus's impressive achievement of reducing water usage by almost 50%.
NSI's Environmental policy
At Northern Sydney Institute, we are committed to establishing, promoting and maintaining a culture of environmental responsibility, both within the Institute and in the wider community.
Read NSI's Environmental policy (PDF, 857KB)